Thursday, June 26, 2014

DIY Repair Loose Chair Legs

Hello All -

So I have these beautiful wood dinning chairs with black leather covers. A couple of months ago, 2 had loose legs and I repaired it.  This time around, with another 2 loose legs, I figured I'd blog about it :)

1. I flip chair over the table so I can remove legs, etc.

2. I removed all the screws and the front 2 legs off the chair. Also the screws holding the spindles to the legs of the chair. (Forgot those pics)

3. I cleaned the inside of where the "spindles" go and the "spindles" with a flat head screwdriver. I'm trying to remove any old glue.


5. I re-attached the front legs and screwed them in halfway. Not all the way because you won't be able to add the spindles if you tighten all the way.  I also added some glue inside the socket where the screw goes.

I USED "TITEBOND" wood glue; found at Home Depot.


4. I then added glue to the inside of where the spindle goes and on the top side of the spindle.  This does get sloppy, so have some paper towels at hand.  I did this for each spindle. The above pictures shows 4 spindles.



5. Once all the spindles are in, you can tighten the screws of the chair legs.

6. Then I use "ratchet straps" to tighten the legs/chair.  This will stay on for at least 3 days to let the glue dry well.


This image shows the straps on with all 4 "Spindles" on the chair. (I turned the chair around to dry)


This image shows an improvised peace because I'm missing the front leg. But I still wanted to tighten the chair with the "Ratchet Straps" so that the rest of the legs are glued tight.


7. After the 3 days, I recrewed the Spindles to the Chair Legs.

Here you see the black original screws from the spindles. I replaced it with the silver bigger ones for a tighter. **** Make sure the new screw is not so big it will come out the other side of the wooden leg. We don't want to have to repair that hole.



Taran!!!  A nice, non-wobbly chair!!


No comments:

Post a Comment